"System error while retrieving price quotes"

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Wed Oct 19 12:56:22 EDT 2005

Oliver D. Iberien wrote:
> I sent this earlier in the day... I ran the price quote update while logging
> at loglevel 4. The price quote retrieval still crapped out, but there was
> nothing in the log that was to my untrained eye intelligible as an error
> message. I have no clue what is going on, as there has been no change to my
> system since yesterday, the last time this worked.
>
> Is there any chance that upgrading to the current version of GnuCash would
> help? And if so... I originally compiled from source. I can't find any
> description of the upgrade procedure in the archives or anywhere on the web.
> The upgrade procedure may be screamingly obvious to a lot of people, but I
> don't want to experiment and risk losing all my data. Could someone kindly
> point me to a description of it?

As far as I know, there is no "upgrade" of a compiled gnucash. You
should simply download the source for the version you want (current
stable is 1.8.11 which is "gnucash-1-8-branch" from cvs. download
instructions are at http://www.gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml

if you are concerned about having it compile properly etc then I suggest
you use the opt-style-install to put the executables in its own
directory. THis iwll keep it from overwriting your current installation.
Try this:

./autogen.sh --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=<your chosen
destination here>

of course you can put whatever other options you need such as
--enable-ofx etc.

then make and sudo make install. The enable-opt* and the prefix=* flags
tell it to INSTALL to the specified directory.

This however probably doesn't solve your problem. I can only imagine
that *something* has changed on your system from one day to the next. Do
you have some kind of cronjob that updates your system maybe?