scheduled transactions

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Oct 19 13:29:32 EDT 2005

In message <sjmr7ahzbnn.fsf at cliodev.pgp.com>, Derek Atkins writes:
>Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> writes:
>
>>   Chris Allen <ch.allen at ozemail.com.au>,
>>   In a message on Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:21:05 +1000, wrote :
>>
>> CA> I have recently started to use GNUCASH after several year with M$ money.
>> CA>
>> CA> There is 1 feature in M$ money that I found very useful but, as yet,
>> CA> cannot see how to do the same in GNUCASH.
>> CA>
>> CA> I want to see the likely balance of an account (credit card or cheque
>> CA> account) at some future date, given its current balance + transactions
>> CA> scheduled between now and then.
>> CA>
>> CA> Can any one advise hoe to do this?
>>
>> Yes.  GnuCash has a 'scheduled transaction' feature.  If you put in ALL
>> of your scheduled transactions and make sure set things to create them
>> all, you will have a projected running balance.   And GnuCash will show
>> at the top of the register display the 'projected minimum balance'.  You
>> will have to exit and restart GnuCash to get the scheduled transactions
>> to be activated.  Make sure you have as current release installed as
>> possible -- there have been problems with some releases of GnuCash WRT
>> scheduled transactions.
>
>I'm sorry, Robert, but you are confused.  The "projected balance"
>does not include the SXes.  You have to actualy setup the SXes to
>create in advance, and then you just have post-dated transactions.

Yes, I guess I am talking about the 'post-dated transactions'.

>None of the reports or projected valued take into account unposted
>SXes.

In my 'checking account register' (*NOT* a report), where the SXes have
been *generated* (eg the files have been run, generally by exiting and
restarting GnuCash) and are shown, along with the running (future)
balances, there is shown a 'projected minimum balance' in the header. I
can't generate a screen shot right now (I am not at home where I have
GnuCash installed).  This is what I mean.  I am NOT talking about any
of the reports or anything like that.  Just the running future balances
(I guess this is what you mean by 'post-dated transactions').  I'm
guessing this is what the OP was looking for.  *I* find it a useful way
of figuring out how much future 'free cash' I might have available,
once I have paid for future expenses, taking into account anticipated
future income (eg paychecks).

>-derek
>
>--
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   heller at cs.umass.edu
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||            heller at deepsoft.com
http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153