Adding a Payroll calculator

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sun Oct 30 01:18:55 EST 2005

On Sat October 29 2005 18:25, Jay Scherrer wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 10:06 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Quoting Jay Scherrer <jay at scherrer.com>:
> > > OK,
> > > I found your gnucash->business->employees->new expense voucher. I
> > > haven't seen this feature before. Is this where you are processing
> > > payroll? I have to study the gncEmployee a bit more.
> >
> > Funny, as this feature has existed since 1.7.X...
> >
> > But no, GnuCash has no payroll feature at the moment.  One could posit
> > that GncEmployee would tie into the payroll feature once one exists.
> > I don't think it would necessarily tie into the Employee Expense Voucher
> > per se.  I would leave that decision up to the developer who actually
> > created the payroll subsystem.  However I would definitely expect the
> > payroll system to use GncEmployee.
> >
> > One thing to keep in mind is the plugability of tax tables.  It would
> > be /nice/ if the tax tables were an addon module (maybe even in scheme)
> > to allow easy changing of numbers.
> >
> > > Jay Scherrer
> >
> > -derek
>
> Do you think a good place to start would be to add an gnc_employeeType
> and a to your class _gncEmployee? Then we could create an editable
> member of the tax class to match the companies Labor and Industry's
> employee classification. Then would it be wise to add a business class
> to gncBusiness.c to include a member like ( gnc_BusinessIndustry and
> gnc_BusinessRating for unemployment rates ) or something? Is there a
> class for different Job descriptions already? We already know that FICA
> and Medicaid are pretty much uniform but still should be adjustable.
>
> Jay Scherrer

I am curious about something:
A payroll feature is only for businesses (except domestic help).
Gnucash does not support the closing entries of a business, including owner's
equity, whether a corp, sole proprietership or partnership.
Wouldn't more users be served by creating support for closing accounting
periods, equity, etc. vs. adding payroll.  After all, all businesses have to
close accounting periods and have equity, only some businesses have
employees.  I created a multi-page spreadsheet for our 5-15 employees which
calcs deposits, etc. real time.  Since we have been using it, since 1993, we
haven't had an error, late deposit, etc., but Intuit did buy the rights to my
general ledger program, In House Accountant, and bury it (letter on file).

--
John R. Sowden
AMERICAN SENTRY SYSTEMS, INC.
mail at americansentry.net