Proposal: CVS -> SVN switchover: Nov 6th, hopefully

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Mon Oct 31 17:32:43 EST 2005

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb at becket.net> writes:

> Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:
>
>> After coordinating with David Hampton last night, he's hopeful to have
>> the G2 -> HEAD merge done by this coming weekend of Nov 5/6th.  As such,
>> I intend to do the CVS -> SVN repository migration this coming weekend
>> as well.
>>
>>   Proposal: On Sunday November 6th we will switch from CVS to SVN.
>>
>>   IF YOU HAVE ANY UN-COMMITTED STATE, YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK IT IN ASAP.
>
> I have a premonition.  This will encounter unexpected hiccups, nothing
> huge, but problems.  Sorting out the problems will take a month.

I've either been involved with, or done personally, a couple of CVS to
Subversion conversions. Even the large one that affected our entire
company went really, really smoothly.

> Geez, how hard is it to get the G2 release out the door BEFORE doing
> this stuff??

If they are more than a month away, chances are that this will have a
negligible effect on the date. But there is always a small chance that
your premonition comes true ;-) so your point is a good one.

And if you guys are using the SourceForge CVS repository, chances are
you can get the SourceForge team to do it for you really soon or
pretty soon:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1341005&group_id=1&atid=350001

>> - Branch/tag Naming: it seems like a rename ["gnucash-1-6-branch" ->
>>   "gnucash/branches/1.6"] is reasonable.  Last-minute objections?

That is the normal method. I'd also expect to see gnucash/tags/1.8.12
and HEAD in gnucash/trunk.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD