Updating

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Sep 1 06:46:24 EDT 2005

On Thursday 01 Sep 2005 10:55, Andrew Greig wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi Andrew,

> Just planning on moving up to Mandriva 10.2.  I want to make sure that
> the later version of gnucash picks up my file OK.  I have a separate
> folder for Gnucash Data, and it is pretty full with different files
>
> Andrew_Greig.20050805231538.xac   This is my first one
> Andrew_Greig.20050805231538.xac.20050831171718.xac  This appears to be
> my last one
>
> Andrew_Greig~  This appears to be a Backup  240.6 Kb Text Document
> Andrew_Greig  Plain Text Document 277.3Kb made on 5 August
>
> Andrew_Greig.20050805231538.xac.20050831171715.log looks like the last
> log file
>
> So in terms of saving my data are these the only 5 files I need to
> preserve?  Or are there some others that are hidden that need to be
> saved as well?

Gnucash files follow an auto- backup strategy.

if your accounts data is myfile.xac, then on each save GC will create a backup
called myfile.xac.<timestamp>.xac and a log of changes in a .log file.

All you actually need for your data to be safe is the datafile myfile.xac

However, having said that, any open reports are saved in a different place.

IIRC, you also need to save the folder ~/.gnucash and the file
~/.gnome/GnuCash  (but there might be others too... :-(

HTH,
Maf.