New User - Nested Split Transactions?

Don Levey dlevey at abinitio.com
Wed Sep 7 08:00:29 EDT 2005

 Hi folks - I'm a new user and have what may be an elementary
question.  I've tried searching in the archives and in the doc but
have not found anything to match my description, so I'm sorry if I've
duplicated.

I'm trying to figure out how to nest split transactions.  Or, more
correctly, include one line item in a split as the line item in
another split.  Here's what I need to do:

I'm entering my paychecks using splits, with separate line items for
each component (taxes, 401K, etc) that make up the gross amount.  One
of those line items, of course, is the amount that gets deposited in
my bank account. If this is the sole item in the deposit, I'm OK.
The problem seems to come when I deposit more than one check at once.
I want to split the deposit into multiple line items, one for each
check - and one of those line items would also be the net amount from
the paycheck split.

Is there a way to do this that I've missed?

Thanks for your help and indulgence,
 -Don Levey