New User - Nested Split Transactions?

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Sep 7 10:03:30 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 09:50 -0400, Don Levey wrote:
> Hmm... So, short of depositing each check separately, I've got no way of
> matching the individual check amount to some subset of the larger deposit?
>  Should I use some sort of intermesiate account for net pay, send the net
> from the check in there instead, and take a line from there into a split
> for the deposit?

Maybe I misunderstood your original question.  You're free to do the
following as a single transaction:

9/7/05 - Deposit
  Aug + Sep paycheck Income:Salary           2000
  Aug + Sep paycheck Assets:Bank:Checking          2000

And, you're free to do something like:

9/7/05 - Deposit
  Aug paycheck       Income:Salary           1000
  Aug investment     Assets:Investment:401k         250
  Sep paycheck       Income:Salary           1000
  Sep investment     Assets:Investment:401k         250
  Paychecks          Assets:Bank:Checking          1500

Or even:

9/7/05 - Deposit
  Aug paycheck       Income:Salary           1000
  Aug investment     Assets:Investment:401k         250
  Aug paycheck       Assets:Bank:Checking           750
  Sep paycheck       Income:Salary           1000
  Sep investment     Assets:Investment:401k         250
  Sep paycheck       Assets:Bank:Checking           750

And add as many splits on either side forwhatever you like.

If do are doing multiple "logical" transactions (aug salary, sep salary)
as part of one "physical" transaction (depositing two checks at the
ATM), then you lose the correlation between the split-groups in anything
other than how you name them.  But if that's not critical for you to
model, you can stack up splits on both the credit and debit sides of the
transaction; the only constraint on transactions is that the sum of all
splits must be 0... they must balance.

...jsled