New User - Nested Split Transactions?

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Wed Sep 7 12:58:06 EDT 2005

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:

> Quoting Don Levey <dlevey at abinitio.com>:
>
>> Hmm... So, short of depositing each check separately, I've got no way of
>> matching the individual check amount to some subset of the larger deposit?
>> Should I use some sort of intermesiate account for net pay, send the net
>> from the check in there instead, and take a line from there into a split
>> for the deposit?
>
> You could create an Assets:Undeposited Checks account, and xfer your
> Salary (and other checks) to that account. Then when you deposit all
> the checks into your Assets:Checking it'll be a single transaction
> from A:UC. It's a bit more work to do this, but it certainly models
> your actual situation.

That's an interesting solution and would definitely be useful if one
received a lot of checks (like a small business).

Since I receive few checks, I find it easiest just to deposit the
checks separately when I do have two at the same time so that the
checking account statements match the checks.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD