Tracking funds in a 401k

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 18 16:32:38 EDT 2005

On Sep 18, 2005, at 11:20 AM, David Hampton wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 12:00 -0400, David Reiser wrote:
>

>> It is possible to use the F::Q module that appears as a result of a
>> gnucash install and just replace the TIAACREF perl script to get
>> daily fund prices for the TIAACREF funds. I'm sure I can find the
>> path to the script online if you'd like.
>>

> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?
> group_id=4232&atid=304232&file_id=143093&aid=1243971
>
> Its a patch against the existing module.  I don't think the TIAA-CREF
> module changed much between F::Q 1.08 and 1.10 so the patch should
> apply
> to both versions.  (It applied cleanly to my copy from F::Q 1.10.)
>
> David

The patch may still work with both versions, but there was at least
one significant change in tiaacref.pm in January 2004. TIAA changed
their web site in December 2003 such that F::Q couldn't retrieve
quotes. That was fixed in Jan 2004 (after the F::Q 1.08 release).

The current patch just adds the public TIAA mutual fund symbols. I
think you could get Yahoo quotes for those funds anyway -- it's just
the retirement plan funds that aren't available outside the TIAA
servers.

Looks like the best advice is to install F::Q 1.10. Or, I guess if
you're feeling game, download the 1.10 tarball and extract tiaacref.pm.

Dave