Interacting Gnucash with Windows

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 22 14:35:50 EDT 2005

Hi,

Please be sure to CC gnucash-user on all replies....

Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> writes:

>> > I tried that, but it doesn't provide anything obviously useful.
>>
>> Odd...  It's always been useful to my accountants.  I print out a PnL
>> and a Balance Sheet.  That's usually sufficient for them.  Then I save
>> off a transaction report and mail it to them, which gives them a list
>> of all transactions in the finanacial period.  I've never had a
>> complaint from them.
>>
>> In what way do you feel is does not provide anything obviously useful?
>>
> The only thing I can see is on the File menu > Export > Export accounts.
> The resulting file doesn't seem to be read by anything.  I accept that I'm
> probably doing it wrong, but there's no guidance, so far as I can see.

Right, but you want to export (or print) the report, not your
data file.  Run the report and then click the "Export" button
in the toolbar..  That will let you export the report in HTML.
Or you can just Print it and send the piece of paper.

>> > Could you elaborate on that?   It sounds much better.
>>
>> Well, there's the Gnucash2qif project, but that's depending on the
>> XML format not changing.
>>
> Isn't that QuickBooks?  I'd much rather be able to export into gnumeric.
> Can you tell us how to do that?

No, it's quicken.

I have no idea what you want to export to gnumeric -- probably
exporting a transaction report as an HTML table would be your best
bet.  See above about how to do that.