Finance::Quote and TiaaCref

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 24 13:41:10 EDT 2005

On Sep 24, 2005, at 8:53 AM, Bradford R. Bowman wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 00:27 -0400, David Reiser wrote:
>
>> Sometime between 9/14 and today, my installation of gnucash and
>> finance::quote quit being able to retrieve quotes from TIAA-CREF.
>>

> This appears to be a development within the last five or six days.
> I am
> using the Tiaacref.pm module from F::Q 1.10, which was suggested in a
> recent thread and worked flawlessly until this week. Tiaacref.pm
> parses
> data from the tiaa-cref.org website rather than from yahoo.com. The
> site
> is up and running and the retirement account values are still
> available,
> so I imagine that Tiaa-cref probably just made some changes to its
> site
> that prevent the module from parsing it.  I know nothing of perl,
> tending to play more with python, so hopefully some kind soul will
> offer
> up a patch soon.
>
> --
> Bradford R. Bowman

If looking for CREFstok price, Tiaacref.pm forms the query:

http://www5.tiaa-cref.org/ddata/DownloadData?f1=1001&days=1

which now returns no data. If one changes the end to days=2, then
F::Q returns the last two days of data in the database (Sept 14 and
15 at  the moment)

A bare browser query to:

https://www3.tiaa-cref.org/ddata/DownloadData?f1=1001&days=1

returns the most recent data (9/23 at the moment) in the same csv
scheme as the old site. It seems either Tiaacref.pm or F::Q is having
a problem with the https connection (vs. just http).

The https site is the one that the tiaacref data selector web page
http://www.tiaa-cref.org/financials/ddata/selection2.html accesses to
display csv historical data on the web.

Dave