Printing reciepts

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 15:43:50 EDT 2005

On Monday 26 September 2005 6:58 pm, Adrian Simmons wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How do people go about generating reciepts with GnuCash?

1. Keep customers and jobs in logical groups so that invoices are listed under
the appropriate customer. One Customer for each organisation / person who
would require their own statement / receipt. All invoices for that
organisation / person utilise that customer record.

2. Print a customer statement for specific date ranges.

This shows the running tally, the invoices and the processed payments.

This follows common business practice in that when a business pays a bill,
they don't expect a receipt, they expect a statement of account that shows
the bill has been paid. A receipt merely acknowledges receipt of funds, a
statement shows that the funds have been appropriated to your balance!

That is a crucial difference. When I pay a business, I expect to get a reply
that details where my money has gone - specifically, my account!

> As in, you've posted an invoice and recieved payment, processed the payment
> and you now want to print a receipt to confirm that payment has been
> recieved.

Not sufficient. The payee deserves a print out that shows that his funds have
been utilised to decrease his outstanding balance, not to fund some
booze-cruise to the sun!

--

Neil Williams