How to track depreciation?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 30 09:20:55 EDT 2005

If you're not a business then technically you can't depreciate the
car.  When you sell the car, you create a split transaction.  In
the asset you reduce by the full (original) value of the car, then
the sale value goes into Income:Auto Sale, and then rest goes into
Equity:Capital Depreciation.  I don't think you can count is as a
capital loss.

Maybe an accountant will chime in?

-derek