Newbie few item questions

Tuc at Beach House tuc at tucs-beachin-obx-house.com
Sun Apr 2 17:27:58 EDT 2006

> >> You can't.  Just re-use the invoice for your next invoice.
>
> > 	Is this something thats planned for the future, or just a quirk
> > that will have to be lived with.
>
> Unclear...  I /may/ be able to implement a "delete invoice"...  There
> aren't too many dependencies involved there.  But it's not on the radar
> for you're going to have to live with it for a while.

	Ok, what I wanted to know. Thank you.

> >> Payments are posted in FIFO order against the Invoice Owner (Customer
> >> or Vendor)..  So if you have multiple invoices posted for a particular
> >> customer, it will post a payament against the first invoice (in date
> >> order) first.  If you over-pay this invoice, gnucash will create
> >> Automatic Payment Forward transactions to "move" the extra money from
> >> one invoice to another.
> >>
> > 	The problem is that I know when I entered it, I entered the first
> > ever bill for this vendor correctly, and the payment in full correctly. Then
> > I entered the second bill, and the second bill in full correctly. So where
> > this 19.20/38.40 issue comes from I don't know. From what you describe I
> > can't fix it either, since if I attempt to enter another bill in it will just
> > continue the cycle of pre-payments, etc. If I attempt to do so, it'll just
> > keep shifting things around. Right now when I do the Business/Bills Due
> > Reminder I have actually 2 reminders for 38.40 for this particular vendor,
> > but each Vendor Bill was posted, then paid. I do a search for these two
> > 38.40, with nothing. If I search for 19.20 I see a split in and out
> > of Liabilities:AP for 19.20 on each side (Wash) and then on one payment a
> > Funds In of 19.20 and 137.39 to Liabilities:AP and 156.59 to Assets:Current:
> > Cash in Wallet. How do I find where this 2nd 38.40 thing is happening?
>
> I have no idea.  I'd have to see a screenshot of your A/R (or A/P)
> account, maybe limited by the transactions for this particular vendor.

	How about just letting you see a copy of the whole XML file. I'm
not bashful, since its only finances pertaining to my new beach house.

	http://www.tucs-beachin-obx-house.com/Gnucash.house

> >> I suggest you remove the payment transactions and the Automatic
> >> Payment Forward transactions and then repost the payment.
> >>
> > 	I delete the Auto Pay Forward I found, and the payment, and I
> > run the Business/Bills Due, and now it tells me that one bill is due 19.20
> > and the other 175.79!
>
> HUH?  A 19.20 Bill Due?   I need to see your A/P for that one.

	There is a -19.20 due, and a 19.20 due. So my vendor account
for Dominion balances, but then I get a bill reminder every time I start up
that I have 2 bills due.

> > 	I go to Business/Vendors/Find Vendor and put in the company name
> > . I click the company name and press "Vendor's Bills". There are 2 bills
> > not marked paid. The first is the one I keep trying to pay properly, and the
> > other is the one that it complains about the 175.79. I click "Process Payment"
> > and it seems to autofill the Payment information with 19.20. I change the
> > date, I put the 156.59, I put my check number in NUM, I post to
> > Liabilities:AP and Transfer from Assets:Current:Cash in Wallet (I know I
> > should be using Checking Account, but its how I want to do it for now..)
> > and click OK. There isn't a check next to the paid on my "Search for..." .
> > If I go to the Bill Reminder, that invoice now shows 19.20 due, and the other
> > one shows 19.20 too. If I try to find a transaction for 19.20, I can't.
> > This is my power bill, so I go to Expenses:Utilities:Electric and I see
> > my invoices there. I haven't figured out how to get it to tell me the payments
> > easily. So I go to the Transaction report for the month the first bill is in.
> > Cash In Wallet is right. Accts Payable is right. But it tells me I owe
> > 19.20 in the Bill Reminder... HUH?
>
> Notice that 175.79-156.59 == 19.20!   SO... What's going on is that
> you're paying 156.59 towards the $175.79 invoice, which leaves an extra
> 19.20 due.   Or it could be the other way around, where you're applying
> the $175.79 payment to the $156.59 invoice, leaving a net amount of.....
> you guessed it.... 19.20.
>
> In other words, you're applying the payments in the wrong order.

	Well, maybe after I deleted the 156.59 that happened. But when
I originally key entered this a week or so ago, it was "ENTER BILL, PAY
BILL"...

> The Bills Due reminder is showing you the total amount of th Bill.
> When you click on one and click Process Payment, it's computing
> the amount LEFT due...   That bill already has a partial payment,
> so it's computing the remainder for you.

	But then if its "AUTO'd" one bill for being under/over, and
the same for the other, and the vendor account is showing 0, why do I
get 2 1/2 transactions that aren't considering themselves "cancelled"?

> >> I've
> >> never been able to reproduce the work-flow that causes a problem
> >> with these Payment Forward transactions, but some people have been
> >> able to get themselves into a broken situation...
> >>
> > 	I think I'm there. :)
> >>
> >> Without being able to reproduce the situation I have no idea how it
> >> gets into this bogus state..  But..  Removing the payments and the
> >> automatic-forwards and repositing the payments seems to solve the
> >> problem.
> >>
> > 	Then when I do a "Bills Due" shouldn't it not appear there?
> > And now why is something 2 invoices later showing differences? I just
> > want a report to tell me everything posting to a vendor, maybe I can
> > find out then.
>
> Maybe...  It will show in Bills Due if the LOT in A/P is not balanced
> to zero...

	I don't understand "LOT". You'll see the file and let me know
if this has happened.

> >> Um, have you tried the Vendor Report?  Reports -> Business -> Vendor Report
> >>
> > 	No, but I just did. I change the "From" and "To" to be 12/1/05
> > and 12/31/05 respectively, I select my account (The power company) and
> > when I apply I get "An error occurred while running the report".
>
> What's printed on your terminal?  (You ARE running gnucash from a terminal,
> right???)

	I am, yea. I didn't notice it until I went to shut down, sorry.

(0.0036s) [list] -*-helvetica-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 --> 64
(0.0009s) [load] -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 --> 0x8afd900
gnucash: [E] "sanity check failed in find-bucket"
In /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/owner-report.scm:
 553: 23  (begin (set! table #) (gnc:html-table-set-style! table "table" # ...))
 554: 24* (set! table (make-txn-table (gnc:report-options report-obj) query ...)
)
 554: 25* [make-txn-table #<procedure dispatch #> # # ...]
 258: 26  (let (# # # ...) (gnc:html-table-set-col-headers! table #) ...)
 306: 27* (let (#) (gnc:html-table-append-row/markup! table "grand-total" #))
 307: 28  [gnc:html-table-append-row/markup! # "grand-total" ...
 310: 29*  [list ...
 310: 30*   [gnc:make-html-table-cell/size/markup 1 6 "centered-label-cell" ...
 313: 31*    [make-aging-table #<procedure dispatch #> # # ...]
 111: 32     (let (# # # # ...) (letrec # # # ...))
In unknown file:
   ?: 33     (letrec (# # # ...) (for-each # lots) ...)
In /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/owner-report.scm:
 138: 34*    [for-each #<procedure #f (lot)> (# # # #)]
In unknown file:
   ?: 35     (if (null? rest) (letrec ((lp #)) (lp list1)) ...)
   ?: 36     (begin (f (car l)) (lp (cdr l)))
   ?: 37*    [#<procedure #f (lot)> #<gw:wcp <gnc:Lot*> 0x89f90c0>]
In /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/owner-report.scm:
 140: 38     (let* ((bal #) (invoice #) (post-date #)) (if (not #) (begin # #)))
In unknown file:
   ?: 39     [apply-invoice (1140670800 . 0) #<<gnc-numeric> num: 3840 denom: 10
0>]
In /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/owner-report.scm:
 129: 40     (let* (# #) (vector-set! buckets bucket-index new-value))
 130: 41*    [gnc:numeric-add-fixed #<<gnc-numeric> num: 3840 denom: 100> ...
 132: 42*     [vector-ref #(# # # #) #<unspecified>]
/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/owner-report.scm:132
:26: In procedure vector-ref in expression (vector-ref buckets bucket-index):
/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/owner-report.scm:132
:26: Wrong type argument in position 2: #<unspecified>
(0.0150s) [load] -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 --> 0x8b4c980

> > 	I'd like to get a complete report, by EVERY vendor.
>
> Well, there's the aging report, but that's not quite the same,
> either.

	Right, so why I was looking for the report I was. :) Wondered if
someone else had alot of supplemental reports they considered valuable
that hadn't been put into the tree that I might get as an "add on".

> > 	But if I change the report to be 1/1/05 to today, and run it, I
> > get 4 bills, 4 matching payments, a total due of 0.00, but a
> > 31-60 days receivable of 19.20 and a 91+ days of -19.20 .
>
> You've got an extra Auto Forward transaction in there.   You should
> go clear out your AP and post the payments in the correct order.

	What the proper way to do it? Just go and individually delete them?
If so, where?

> >> All reports that have been created have been incorporated into GnuCash
> >> and shipped.  Is there a report you think you need that GnuCash doesn't
> >> already have?
> >>
> > 	I wanted a report like the Reports/Business/Vendor but I wanted
> > all the split information of the accounts it was posted to also. I
> > was hoping I'd find where these 19.20s are coming from if my bills
> > and payments match exactly.
>
> "All the split information?"  The only split information is the Auto
> Payment transactions which in general can be ignored, except in the
> cases where they cause problems.   There's no reason a customer
> should see that information.

	Not a customer, me.

	I want to be able to see something like (I'm not sure which should
be -'s and which should be considered +'s, but just go by the numbers):

Home Depot
  01/01/06
	BILL 20060101-20060101
		Liability:AP						-100.00
		Expenses:Home Repair:Plumbing		10.00
		Expenses:Home Repair:Electrical		80.00
		Expenses:Home Improvement:Tools		10.00
	PAYMENT 20060101-EFT
		Assets:Cash in Wallet					-100.00
		Liabilities:AP				100.00

	Everything is being put in as a bill right now, even if it was
paid with cash on the spot. This is only going to happen on the initial
I started.

> > 	This whole 19.20.. I put the bill in for $X, I payed the bill for
> > $X. I put the next bill in for $Y, I paid it for $Y. I put the next in
> > as $Z, etc. Where this 19.20 stuff is coming from I don't know.
>
> Are you sure?  See above.

	Its now 38.20, but you'll see in the file I posted.

> >> But
> >> yes, GnuCash is going to try to auto-balance stuff for you.  The
> >> business features in particular are going to migrate the payments
> >> to make sure you can pay multiple invoices with a single payment.
> >>
> > 	I'd rather I be asked about it. But in this case it should have
> > never needed to do it since I put in the bill, and paid it, put the next
> > in, paid it. Its not like I put one bill in, then told it I paid a
> > different one, then put that invoice in, and then tried to pay the first
> > one. I also have an issue that it might autobalance differently that
> > we do it. I had a recent time where I paid a vendor bill only 1/2, then
> > we got the next one and paid it in full. With the auto balance wouldn't
> > it have paid the rest of the previous bill and shorted this one? I
> > wanted to keep that 1/2 a bill open and aging because of an issue we
> > had with the vendor on the bill. If I went back to look at it it would
> > have probably told me I paid it with a check that I didn't. So I really
> > rather apply payments to what I want, not how it wants. I do want it to
> > tell me "Hey, you have $G available to you from overpaying another bill,
> > do you want to use it here" or "Hey, I have another invoice that needs
> > payment, do you want that one included or leave it out of it." I guess
> > I'm coming down to I don't want auto-balance. I want to tell it what
> > payment applies to what bills, and let me worry about shorts/overs.
> >>
> >> In 1.8 you cannot pay an invoice directly (but you can in 1.9).
> >>
> > 	AH. :) Ok.
> >
> > 	Any idea when 1.9 will be in production ? I'd probably have to
> > compile it apart from FreeBSD ports, they have random freezes on
> > upgrading software.
>
> 1.9 will never be in production..  It's a test release.  2.0 will
> be the production (stable) version....  Hopefully around May.
> See http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule

	Didn't realize you were using that numbering, sorry.

	I tried to build 1.9.3 and it didn't get past configure. I have
to check what went wrong.

			Thanks, Tuc