plain text report output

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Apr 3 11:03:06 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 09:43 -0400, TyrusMaynard wrote:
>     Forgive me for reposting my need. I feared that the post was either doomed
> to be ignored as April Fools content or that it was too lengthy a mix describing
> both plain need and suggestive innuendo about improvement for gnucash. So I am

No offense intended, but we don't need feature requests... we need
patches.

>    Can plain text alignment be improved in whatever code or style sheet that is
> used to generate a report (assuming such a report is HTML)?
>     Presumably, this would involve design for good behavior of copy/paste ...not
> simply good design for the HTML displayed outcome.
>
>    Isn't the *text file* an overlooked asset for report output?  wouldn't it be
> handy to have a plain text output that is well aligned and can be further
> "beautified" in any word processor?

Yes, the HTML that the reports output can be modified; you can either
make a copy of the report and tweak that, or tweak the report in-place.
However, it's not, presently, very easy to insert that new report into
the mix. :(

If I wanted the reports as text, I'd export them (as HTML) and use
`lynx`, `links` or `w3m` to save the formatted output as text.

In time this should be easier, as the reports should become templated
output formatters rather than html-emitting programs.  Also, future
reports implementation should embrace MVC for the reports even more so.
But that's just more feature-requesting, really. :)

--
...jsled