GST total paid and GST total invoiced that has to be paid back

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Mon Apr 3 22:08:27 EDT 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Bob Page <bpage104 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a newbie and just trying to convert to Gnucash all my business
>> transactions. I am also completely new to any accounting program as I
>> have
>> always let my Accountant look after that. Now I would like to do the
>> bookeeping in house and submit reports to my accountant.
>>
>> Can anyone help me with the following:
>>
>> 1) I need to know the total amount of 7% GST (Canada) that I have
>> invoiced to
>> Customers as we have to collect these taxes and submit them to the
>> government.
>

> Set up a tax table for "GST Collected", and when you invoice, apply that
> GST to each lineitem in the invoice.  This tax table should go into some
> holding account (you can decide whether you want it to be a negative Asset
> or a Liability depending on whether you think you collect or pay more GST).
> This would be your GST Collected account.
>
>> 2) I also need to know the total amount of 7% GST I have paid while
>> purchasing
>> goods and services in all my expense accounts.
>

> Same as #1 except a "GST Paid" tax table..   Or for hand-entered expense
> transactions you need to manually split out the GST amount into the
> GST Paid account.
>
>> 3) I then need to deduct the GST that I have paid in all my expense
>> accounts
>> from the total that I have invoiced my customers. This will give me the
>> figure that I have to submit to the Tax department on a quarterly basis.
>

> Put the GST Paid and GST Collected into the same account hierarchy:
>
>   ...:GST:GST Paid
>   ...:GST:GST Collected
>
> Then you can look at the balance of the ...:GST account to see whether you
> owe are are owed GST.
>
>> Can anyone visualize how this scenario above can be implemented in
>> Gnucash in
>> any way, in full or in part?
>> Again, I am not too bright when it comes to accounting, as such a
>> simple to
>> understand explanation would be appreciated.
>

> You might want to hire an accountant to help you get set up.
>
>> Thanks in advance.

I actually use 3 Liability sub-accounts, like this:

Liabilities

   --GST

      |--GST Collected  (from clients)
      |--GST Paid  (paid for goods and services)
      |--GST Payments  (paid to CRA)

Instead of entering the GST you pay for goods and services as
Expenses|Taxes|GST, enter it as Liabilities|GST|GST Paid, and so on.  It
will automatically show as a negative (and so will GST Payments).  Your
accountant can undoubtedly give you a better explanation than I can.

These two oppositely-signed accounts (GST Paid & GST Payments) are
called contra-accounts.

Works like a dam for me, because the GST parent account always shows
what I owe.

Cheers

Cam

--