plain text report output

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Wed Apr 5 13:44:47 EDT 2006

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:03:12 -0400
TyrusMaynard <mayn at main.nc.us> wrote:

> [...]
>    I think/hope that this tool can become the "work around"  for well aligned
> text output from html reports, but  I havent been able to get around the unusual
>    fragmentation of  some fields into a multi row .

I'm not really seeing this at all. What are you using to view these resultant files? if I do just html2text -o testout -nobs report.html and then cat testout, it looks just fine. I'm not seeing any fragmentation.

>   It seems to me that html2text  has  some set definition of column width
> whenever it parses html which contains table tags

you can set the overall width and maybe its breaking lines to try and get it to fit within the overall width? try setting a really high width to see if that solves the problem?

> Here are the fields of the report (Num is empty of data):
>
> Date	Num	Description	Transfer from/to	Amount
>
> Here is a sample section acquired by copy/paste to text:
>   Good single line rows , its OK except for the  skew of column which are all
> well aligned in the HTML display in gnucash and other browsers.
>
> 04/05/2005		BRIGGS CONSTR. hydraul oil	Assets.chk153	$23.28		04/07/2005
> ASHEVILLE HOSE & E	Assets.chk153	$29.40
> 04/22/2005		SmokyMtn Petro hydraul	Assets.chk153	$33.66
>
> Here is same sample of HTML sent thru html2 text:
>     "html2text -o output.file -nobs input.file"
>     The date and description field has become multi-row for ??? reason
>
> 04/             BRIGGS CONSTR.

definitely not seeing this. again, I'm curious what you are using to read these files? maybe its getting misinterpreted by a spreadsheet program?