Dividend transaction results in unbalanced balance sheet

John Schoffstall john.schoffstall at pobox.com
Fri Apr 14 07:06:12 EDT 2006

This is odd.

My 403(b) received three dividends on March 22, and three lots of its mutual fund were purchased. Dividend was credited to Income:Dividends. Since the purchase, my balance sheet has been off by penny.

I've tracked down the offending transaction to that dividend/reinvestment. If I take those transactions out, the balance sheet balances. If not, it doesn't. I've tried changing the balance sheet's Options -> 'Price Source', but no dice. I've tried lumping the three dividends together into one transaction, but the same thing happens, off by a penny. I've deleted the transactions and reentered them several times. Same thing happens. (I.e., it's not a typo.) Each individual dividend reinvestment transaction is balanced.

The penny off balance is annoying. Given the tiny size, maybe this is rounding error in the math routines?

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas for a fix?

== John