use of 'account codes'

Bengt Thuree bengt at thuree.com
Tue Apr 18 01:47:52 EDT 2006

On Ti, 2006-04-18, 14:42, John R. Sowden skrev:

> 1) I did not know the account balances of the Asset, Liability and Equity
> accounts at the time of entry.  Does this mean I cannot enter them now?,
> as
> the 'Balances' tab on 'edit account' has disappeared.

You can always create an Opening Balance transaction manually.
(Transfering money from Equity:Opening Balances)

> 2) After about 35 years of using a rather consistant chart of accounts, I
> know
> the account numbers pretty well.  Instead typing in the name of an
> account,
> or scrolling through about 100 accounts in a scroll box, or learning a new
> way to describe the accounts ("a-shift-colon-c"), is there a way to enter
> an
> account number ("1010").  When I did this, gc advised me that the account
> does not exist.

This should work I think. Did you try to create an account with account
name as "1010", and assigning it to the proper Account Type (Asset or
whatever), and ensure it has the proper Parent Account?

/Bengt