Banking Recommendations

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 6 23:40:56 EDT 2006

On Aug 5, 2006, at 5:59 PM, Chris Spencer wrote:

> Chris S wrote:
>> I'd like to use Gnucash to directly access by bank account. I'm
>> currently with PNC and since it looks like they'll never provide such
>> a service, I'm looking to switch banks. Can anyone recommend a decent
>> bank that's Gnucash-friendly?
>
> Sorry, I didn't realize Gnucash couldn't connect directly to bank
> accounts. My mistake.

Saying that GnuCash can't connect directly to bank accounts is not
entirely correct. It probably is true that if you ask any bank in the
U.S. if their online banking feature is compatible with GnuCash, they
will say "no".

Most banks in the U.S. that offer online banking use OFX (or it's
virtually identical Intuit/Quicken variant, QFX) or another close
cousin OFC for their transaction data interchange. GnuCash 2.0 will
connect to OFX/QFX servers via Aqbanking. That said, there are still
some impediments: libofx (the utility Aqbanking uses to handle
OFXDirectConnect sessions) does not handle any outgoing transactions
-- you can't initiate a payment from GnuCash that can be transmitted
to the bank. Only transaction downloads are possible. I blame this on
the extreme scarcity of OFX test servers. Screwing up a transaction
download is easily fixable, fixing a screwed up payment authorization
causes significantly more heartburn. Most banks have no interest in
making their QFX servers available to outside developers, and no open
source developer is likely to be willing to pay Intuit's fees for
accessing a test server (if Intuit even has a fee schedule for such
access).

Then there's the issue of server irregularities. PNC uses a third
party, Yodlee, to handle their Quicken connections with customers. If
I'm reading my error messages correctly, Yodlee uses a non-standard
SSL Certificate exchange sequence that causes Aqbanking to fail to
connect.

My credit union (or really, their third party data handler) has been
unwilling to pay the Quicken extortion for a recent QFX server. I
haven't yet been willing to get a third financial institution for
checking accounts.

I suppose it is possible that connecting to checking/savings is
inherently different from connecting to credit card and investment
operations, but I doubt it. I have successfully connected directly
from GnuCash to several national credit card providers and two
investment brokers. (The investment transaction handling needs some
improvement -- importing from an ofx file works better -- but those
improvements probably aren't far off.)

If Wachovia's terms aren't too objectionable to you, you might find
you can connect via GnuCash to their servers. They, at least, seem to
be running their own OFX/QFX server. I personally won't use Wachovia
until they have a plan that doesn't charge me for using someone
else's ATM (in addition to the usual charge by the foreign bank
themselves...).

Whatever route you take, you can be sure that the bank will deny they
support anything other than Quicken/MSMoney, but if you are willing
to experiment a bit, you might at least get transaction downloads to
work inside GnuCash.

> Chris

Dave
--