trouble just starting reconciliation -- SOLVED, partially

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Aug 16 16:08:14 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 03:40:42PM -0400, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> I'm running gnucash 1.8.10, the version that is distributed with Debian
> sarge.  I' having trouble with reconciliation of my chequing account.
>
> Specifically, when I *start* reconciling, before I've checked *any*
> transactions, the starting balance is different from the reconciled
> balance.
>
> How is that possible?  I thought they were both initialized to the sum
> of all reconciled transactions so far, and that subsequently, the
> reconciled balance would change when you checked off transactions and
> the check-marks appeared in the 'R' columns?
>
> Please, tell me how these things *are* computed, so that I can start to
> track down the discrepancy.
>
> And I am capable of hand-editing XML files, if that should end up being
> necessary (though I haven't done it yet, so that shouldn't be the
> trouble).

I scrolled through all the transactions one more time, and found a
transaction dated June 30, 2006 with a checkmark.  I unchecked it, and
everything looks to be OK.  I was reconciling a statement from
November, 2005.

Looking in the register for that account, it appears to be marked 'c'
instead of the usual 'y' or 'n'.  That's probably why it comes
prereconciled.  How does something get to be marked 'c'?

-- hendrik