ofx.py setup

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 22 23:03:41 EDT 2006

On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:49 PM, Andre Powell wrote:

> Hello I am new to *nix type software and have been chugging along
> with Gnucash 1.8.9 (OSX 10.3.9) and have been trying to get the
> python script to download ofx from the one bank that I have that
> only offers .csv file downloads.
> I have not been able to find any examples with Google or from the
> program's webpage. Any help would be greatly appreciated with this

Do you mean that the web interface only offers .csv file downloads,
but you know that they offer Quicken connections too? None of the
tools turns a csv into ofx, the bank has to be sending ofx through
some channel. Usually the bank won't admit to allowing ofx access
outside of Quicken, but in at least some cases they do (after all, it
_is_ supposed to be an open interchange standard...).

If your bank isn't in the short list that's preprogrammed into
ofx.py, then you have to edit ofx.py to set it up for the connection.
Then you get to experiment with just what information you need to
have ofx.py send to successfully connect. What bank are you using? I
can at least do a quick check to see if their ofx web address is
reasonably available. If it does, we can work on the rest of the
process.

Dave
--
David Reiser