Best way to organize accounts

David Brock david at tubits.com
Fri Aug 25 12:23:52 EDT 2006

This is true for a very limited definition of the word "account" but
really, asset accounts and liability accounts are just as theoretical as
expense and revenue accounts, we're just more used to the idea that my
"savings account" (asset) has $X in it, or that I owe $Y on my mortgage
(liability).  In fact, it's called an "account" because that's just what
it is - an account of money.

The bank doesn't have a physical mail slot where they put your $10's &
$20's, rather, they take the money that they've "accounted" for as
yours, and they (usually) loan it out to someone else, and "account" for
it.

An expense or revenue account is simply a record of where the money
"came from" or "went to".  An asset or liability account is where the
actual money "is" or "isn't".

Gnucash, and double entry accounting, does it correctly.

;-David