Sharing gnucash account files between users

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Aug 29 10:31:05 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 15:25 +0200, Ronan KERYELL wrote:
> Since gnucash files are in XML, I expect it can be possible with some
> careful merges in the case of conflicting writes (well, if we ask
> "uncompress mode" in the prefs :-) ).
>
> Does it make sense?

Merging XML diffs sounds horrible, to me, but if it's what you want to
do...

While the major sections of the file (accounts, transactions, &c.) are
going to be stable, I'm not sure if there's stability in the ordering of
any collections on file write.  So there might be spurious diffs because
of this.

> Can I expect the unique-ID-like such as
>        <split:id type="guid">d460704ada6fbde0e08c7a7cd71a608f</split:id>
> everywhere are sensibly random and are not, for example, a function of the old
> file state, in which case 2 futures of the same file would pick the same
> unique ID and we would always need to deal with non unique ID...

They're sensibly random, IIRC from a forward-chaining MD5 of system
randomness derived at application-instance startup.

--
...jsled