Fink finally has 2.0.2

Dave Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 15:02:27 EST 2006

David T. wrote:
> This is truly excellent news!
>
> A small point: I just checked Fink's package database
> (http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/). The gnucash2 package appears in the
> alphabetical full list (and can be found by searching), but if you select the
> gnome archive section, the only gnucash2 entry is for gnucash2-docs. I didn't
> see the main package at first because went to that archive listing.

That separation is because gnucash2 is in the crypto branch, while
gnucash2-docs isn't. A bit confusing, but I'm all for not putting
anything into crypto unless it really needs to be there. You can thank
the U.S. government for the need to keep the crypto branch isolated.

> I was also wondering whether it's necessary in Fink to separate the 1.8 version
> from the 2.0 version. From my perspective as a know-nothing Mac end user, I
> only care about installing the latest version of GC in my machine. I'm sure
> there's a very good reason for this, but having separate package entries
> confuses me.

The reason to rename the new package to gnucash2 instead of just newer
version number on gnucash is that with the current setup you can swap
gnucash 2.0.2 with last 1.8.x version easily in fink. The interface
change is big enough that sometimes people want to switch back to the
old interface, just to see if they are remembering correctly. I used
1.8.10 for a couple months alongside 1.9.x while getting used to
everything in the new version (of course I had the added issue of
pre-release (in)stability in the 1.9 series). You can't run them
concurrently, but once both versions have been built, 'fink reinstall
yyy' will swap one version for the other in a minute or so.

I know some people even used their live data file in both versions going
back and forth. I don't recommend that, though. There are a couple
issues with encoding (UTF-8 character sets) that sometimes cause problems.

> David

Dave
--
David Reiser