Business and multiple currencies

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Sun Feb 19 11:03:53 EST 2006

I'm been beating my head against a brick wall for several days over this
and can't seem to get anywhere.

The scenario is this. I run a small e-commerce business in the UK which
involves buying stuff in the US, importing it and onward selling it.
I've got the outgoing side working fine, because I sell in GBP, however
my suppliers bill me in USD. I'd like to be able to enter my suppliers
bills in USD, calculate the VAT and then finally convert the payment to
GBP. What I have tried to do is

1. Create the vendor entry and mark it as being paid in USD
2. Create a VAT tax table and create a VAT liabilities account
3. Enter the vendor bill in dollars

At this point the line at the bottom of the bill gives me totals (for
bill and VAT) in GBP. Regardless of what I do I don't seem to be able to
enter a bill in USD. I can go ahead and post the bill and it appears in
the AR account but with an unbalanced zero split. I've tried creating an
AR account in USD, I've tried creating Expense accounts in USD to charge
the individual bill items against all to no avail. The only way I can
seem to make it work  is to do the whole transaction in GBP, having
manually converted the bill into GBP first. Am I doing something stupid,
or is gnucash just not up to what I'm asking of it? I'm running current
SVN on Fedora Core 3 patched to date.

Please can someone help, even if just to tell me that what I want to do
is impossible.

Thanks

Nigel