year-ends

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Fri Feb 24 14:00:51 EST 2006

Jeremy Harris wrote:
> It sounds like the common method of handling a year-end
> is to transfer balances from all the Expense and Income
> accounts into Equity:Retained Earnings.
> If I want to do it (especially keeping each year separate)
> it sounds like a real drag creating all the subaccounts.
> Is there an easy, even a one-click, way of copying an
> account tree to another parent and transferring all the
> balances?

The only way I've figured out how to do it is adding a transaction to each
account individually, one at a time. I agree that it is a drag.

I actually transfer all of my expenses to an "old expenses" expense account,
and all of my income to an "old income" income account, with one transaction
per account. I am curious if there is any particular reason why
Equity:Retained Earnings makes more sense than having "old income" and "old
expenses"?

Adam