[Fwd: Re: blank register report]

Eric Beversluis econophil at charter.net
Tue Feb 28 13:03:12 EST 2006

Sorry--forgot to cc this to the list.
-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Eric Beversluis <econophil at charter.net>
To: Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: blank register report
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:52:48 -0500
On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:12 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Well, there are options under your general preferences..  But
> if all your accounts are in US and you're running in a US locale,
> then it's not the issue.  Can you confirm this assumption, please?
Yes to both: all in USD and running in US locale.

> I'm afraid that without a test case there's very little I can do for you.
I can try to set up another account and enter some fake data and see if
the problem arises. But since it doesn't arise in any of my other
existing accounts, I doubt if it will.

> > Assuming the register is somehow corrupted: Would there be any way to
> > export the transactions from this account, delete the account and its
> > transactions, recreate the account and reimport all the transactions?
> > Otherwise I'll just have to live without using this report--as your
> > situation suggests, it's not a key report, since you don't ever use it.
>
> It wouldn't be the register that's corrupted; it would be the account
> and/org transactions.
Is there an underlying database of some sort where I could look to
compare this account with the others and see if anything there is
different?  What I see when  I go to the "Edit Account" dialog box is
exactly the same for this account and for those that work right.

>  Does gnucash print anything on the terminal when you run the report?
?I don't have a terminal open, just the GnuCash gui and Gnome. When I
run GnuCash from the terminal it opens the same gui. When I run the
report and go back to the terminal I see this:

[ericb at 192 ericb]$ gnucash
(0.0335s) [list] -*-helvetica-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 --> 40
(0.0011s) [load] -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 -->
0x8174d88
(0.1393s) [load] -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-1 -->
0x840f9d8

When I close GnuCash there is nothing more added. Just returns me to my
prompt.

Since it's hardly prudent for me to send my financial records to a
stranger, I think I'll just have to live with this problem unless I
decide to reenter all the transactions in a new account.

Thanks for your efforts.

EB