roundoff problem

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 2 21:01:01 EST 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Beth Leonard <beth at oasis.slimy.com>:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 04:00:54PM -0700, Mark Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I have an employee stock purchase plan where the share fraction is a
>>> millionth of a share.  However, the display of the shares account is
>>> displaying only 5 decimal places.  The commodity is set to the correct
>>> fraction.  The account is also set to the correct fraction.
>>>
>>> Ichecked the .xac file and the correct values are being stored for the
>>> purchase splits.  It is only that they are being displayed incorrectly.
>>>
>>> I am using 1.8.11.  Was this a bug that was fixed in 1.8.12?  Or a new
>>> one?  It would be nice to know before going to the trouble of
>>> upgrading.
>>

>> I haven't checked for stock purchases, but there are some
>> rounding abnormalities in some parts of gnucash:
>

> There are some places in the register code where is limits you to 1/10^6
> which is effectively 5 decimal places.  Internally it can store more
> precise numbers, but it wont necessarily display it.  Check your
> account settings and see if you have it set up to display an appropriate
> number of significant digits.

Thanks, I have checked the account settings. It was set to the same
value as the commodity (1/1000000 (6 zeroes)).

The XML has the correct values, but the display rounds to too few
places.  This is a problem when checking my statements.  (Checking the
statements is headache enough as they are terribly complicated.)

> -derek

Mark