Plotting Expenses and Rebates

saschainlondon at gmx.net saschainlondon at gmx.net
Fri Jan 6 15:08:30 EST 2006

Hello,

I'm using gnucash 1.8.12 and had this special problem:
When plotting expenses (Reports -> Income & Expenses -> Expense Barchart)
rebates are not plotted correctly. The sign of the sum:
Expenses - Rebates
is not considered when plotting the bars.

If there are more rebates than expenses, the bar should be plotted below the
'0' line.

Assume this Transactions:
2006-01-01
     Opening Balance -> Assets
     100.00 Euros
2006-01-05
     Assets -> Expenses
     100.00 Euros

So I spent all my money. A month later I get a refund from the store because
I gave back some items.

2006-02-05
     Expenses -> Assets
     75.00 Euro (Refund)

So my total expenses are 25.00 Euros and my Assets are 75.00 Euros. This is
correct.

2006-02-08
     Assets -> Expenses
     20.00 Euro

So I spend some of the money on sth else. Overall my Asset is 55 Euros and I
spend 45 Euros. Thats correctly handled by gnucash.

If I plot the Expense over Time Report There are 100.00 Euro Expenses in
January (ok) but in February there is a bar that is in the same direction
than than in January (and made me think I spend 55 Euros in February). This
is not correct! In February there were more refunds (75) than expenses (20)
so the bar should be drawn below the 0-line (showing that there were more
refunds than expenses). The value is calculated correctly (75 - 20 = 55).

So don't believe what the expense over time chart is telling you if you had
some rebates.

Kind regards

Sascha