new cc banner

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jan 6 21:54:23 EST 2006

  Eric Angell <eoa at cs.hmc.edu>,
  In a message on Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:58:03 -0800, wrote :

EA> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.  You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
EA>
EA> -----
EA>
EA> The new "please cc on replies" banner is a great idea, except
EA> that it seems to assume HTML mailreaders.  I don't claim to have
EA> a good solution that will work in both HTML and plaintext
EA> (especially since I have no idea how it has been implemented),
EA> but having (&)quot; spelled out looks terrible.  Especially since
EA> the Content-Type is specified in the message header as
EA> text/plain, the HTML descriptor for " seems inappropriate.  The
EA> lack of linewrapping is also disappointing, as is the lack of
EA> trailing newline to seperate the next paragraph.  Any chance this
EA> might get updated?

Doesn't Mailman have a configuration option to set the 'Reply-To:'
header?  Majordomo does...  I manage a batch of mailing lists with
Majordomo and setting what Majordomo puts in the 'Reply-To:' header
makes sure that everyone on the list always replys to the list and not
(just) to the poster.  (Since the poster also needs to be on these
*closed* lists, there is never a need to Cc the poster in addition to
sending to the list.)