GNUCash Blog, RHEL/CentOS & v 1.8 vs 2.0

Steve Calabrese gnucash at desertzephyr.net
Mon Jan 9 23:17:25 EST 2006

Hello all,

1.  Gnucash blog:  It's been a year and a half since my last update -
but our conversion to GNUCash, and the resulting blog, is on again.  For
those who are interested, it's at livejournal.com/users/thebreeze
Previously, we just flat ran out of time, but we're going to make it a
priority to get GNUcash - or any Linux accounting package, for that
matter - running in our business by the end of February.

2.  I note that there are RPM's available for RedHat Enterprise Linux
4.  We will most likely be running on CentOS 4.2, which is built from
the RHEL sources but with all RedHat branding and non-free software
removed.  The mailing list doesn't have much to say about RHEL/CentOS;
one user seemed to have a proplem back in April of 2005 that may have
been fixed by the RPM's posted in Feb 2005.  Any further info about
Gnucash on RHEL or CentOS would be appreciated.

3.  There is one thing that could postpone a deployment of GNUcash 1.8
in our business; if the community feels it is better to wait until the
upcoming Gnucash v.2 distribution "pre-release expected in December!" as
mentioned on the GNUcash homepage.  We are looking to operate GNUcash in
a business envirnment.  Should we wait a few months or jump in now?
Will there be a clear upgrade path?

Thanks,
Steve