Cash vs Accrual Accounting and Cygwin/X

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Tue Jan 10 11:34:44 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 11:10 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> ben-gnucash at xig.net writes:
>
> > 1.  Liz, I HUGELY appreciate learning that gnucash only does accrual
> > accounting before we tried to figure out too hard how to make cash work.
>
> Unfortunately there isn't a good way to handle "invoice" and "cash
> accounting".  By definition, invoicing implies accrual..  We've had
> some discussions earlier about this.
>
> My original idea was to write a report that would discount unpaid
> invoices and remove the transactions from the balance sheet and P&L
> reports..  But that wouldn't put the transactions back in at the
> right place.
>
> The only other alternative is to chance the way invoices are posted
> in Cash v. Accrual accounting methods....

I get around the accrual thing for my business by running a cash flow
report rather than a traditional P&L.  Admittedly the Cash Flow does not
segment my income in to the correct income accounts - just a generic A/R
account heading for inflows, but the expenses are nicely delineated.
Don't know if that might help.

--Rob