Insurance shared with employer

Derek Brader brader at ieee.org
Thu Jan 19 23:01:44 EST 2006

Hi,

I think the method David H. describes offers all the flexibility you
need.  You can then track it however you want after the fact by
customizing reports.

Some insurance covered by your employer may be included in your wages
for US Federal Income Tax purposes (i.e. form W-2 box 1), some may be
included for Social Security tax purposes (i.e. form W-2 box 3), and
some may be included for state income tax purposes (i.e. form W-2 box
16).  If you want to reconcile your W-2 form from your employer against
your records, you may need to account for this income separately from
your salary/wages.  That's what I have to do: my employer pays for term
life insurance, and that income is taxable for Fed Inc Tax, but not
taxable for Soc Sec tax or state inc tax (PA).  If you're out of the US
this is fairly irrelevant, but either way I think you'll have enough
flexibility if you do it like this.

~derek