problem loading gnucash on colinux

Bert Riding reriding at xmission.com
Sun Jan 22 14:30:42 EST 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:58:52 -0500
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

>   bn <aval57 at yahoo.com>,
>   In a message on Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:26:44 -0800 (PST), wrote :
>
> b> Thanks for the responses Elizabeth & Derek,
> b>
> b> I guess I should elaborate a little...
> b>
> b> 1. I installed gnucash from the console (using
> b> apt-get, as indicated
> b> previously), no errors or warnings. 'gnucash
> b> --version' reports "GnuCash
> b> 1.8.10'.
> b>
> b> 2. gnucash files seem to be all in place, although
> b> /etc/gnucash/config only
> b> reads:
> b> --------------------------------------------------------------
> b> ;;; -*-scheme-*-
> b>
> b> ;; Sample system-wide config file.  At the moment,
> b> it's empty.
> b> --------------------------------------------------------------
> b>
> b> 3. Running gnucash from the console fails due to a
> b> lack of display, (which
> b> is what the gnome gdm provides).  Other apps, e.g.
> b> gimp, inkscape also fail
> b> similarly at the console but run fine from the gnome
> b> desktop.  I understand
> b> that I can configure a display from the console and
> b> launch the apps, but
> b> since the graphic gnucash startup screen appears in
> b> gnome, I doubt the
> b> problem has anything to do with the display.
> b>
> b> 4. Running gnucash in gnome shows the graphic startup
> b> window, with the
> b> following messages:
> b>
> b>    Loading modules... (several names follow)
> b>    Checking Finance::Quote...
> b>    Loading configs...
> b>
> b> 5. The startup window closes, and nothing happens.  No
> b> error messages
> b> either in gnome, or on the root console.  System
> b> monitor shows no gnucash
> b> process.
>
> What you need to do is NOT run GnuCash at the non-X11 console --
> that won't work, for obvious reasons.
>
> What you need to do is fire up X11 (eg Gnome).  Then rather then use
> the little icon or menu thing to start GnuCash, fire up an X11 Terminal
> of some sort.  With the modern incarnation of GNome it is under the
> System Tools sub-menu under the Start menu: Start->System
> Tools->Terminal.  This will give you a *window* with a shell prompt.
> Type gnucash in this window and then then capture all of the output
> displayed there when gnucash crashes.  Post this (textual) output to
> this mailing list.  Most likely there will be an error message that
> will explain gnucash's problem.  It is possible that you might even be
> able to figure out the problem yourself from this output.

If when you do this (run gnucash from a terminal in the X windowing
system) you get an error like this:

UNBOUND VARIABLE: hash-for-each

you may need to install the newest version of gnucash released by
debian, which at the moment is 1.8.12-6 (both gnucash and
gnucash-common packages).  To do this you may need to go to a debian
ftp site, to pool/main/g/gnucash, get the files and install them with
dpkg or use the -t unstable option to apt-get, depending on the release
of debian you are using.  That is, if apt-get reports "already newest
version".

 --
Bert Riding
reriding at xmission.com
gnupg fingerprint:
C0F6 E202 EFB3 F332 CAB0  85D4 A113 9F46 3C93 5A6E