Debit/Credit vs. Deposit/Withdraw in Edit->Preferences [was Applying Scheduled Payment Kills Program]

Derek Brader brader at ieee.org
Wed Jan 25 19:02:57 EST 2006

Hi,

A further clarification... I think Merriam Webster puts it pretty well:

Main Entry: debit
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Latin debitum debt -- more at DEBT
1 a : an entry on the left-hand side of an account constituting an
addition to an expense or asset account or a deduction from a revenue,
net worth, or liability account b : any one of the items on the
left-hand side of an account; also : the sum of these items -- opposed
to credit; abbr. dr c : a charge against a bank deposit account

Citation:  "debit." Webster's Third New International Dictionary,
Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com
(25 Jan. 2006)

Note that, in definition 1c, a "bank deposit account" would be a
liability type account (from the bank's perspective).

~derek