Tracking stocks and sales - improving GnuCash

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 30 16:59:09 EST 2006

Todd Wells wrote:

>  I'm not an accountant, so the double-entry stuff is a little foreign to me, but I can (try to) learn.  I'm also a programmer/tester, so I'm pretty comfortable with software in general.

I used to use Quicken too.  The double-entry is something I like.
Instead of "categories", we have expense accounts and income accounts.
I like being able to open one of these accounts and examine all my
expenses to that "category".  I could not do that in Quicken.

>Also, how do I look at the current price of a stock?  It would be nice to have a simple view (like the Quicken portfolio view) that tells you at a glance your portfolio and the share prices and changes for that day.  I know there's a portfolio report, but that's not quite the same thing, as far as I can tell.  Maybe it's there, I just haven't found it.

I would suggest that the price editor be able to display prices for just
one commodity at a time.  (I believe this is coming in G2.)

>Is there a way to turn off the "transaction memorization" feature?  Sometimes this is useful, but when the last memorized transaction is a split, it's kind of a pain.

It's exactly not turning it off, but you can right-click a transaction
you are entering and select a menu choice to remove all the splits.
It's pretty close to what you'd like.

Mark