price editor keeps past prices for ROI

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Sun Jul 2 19:03:39 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 17:16 -0500, Larry Evans wrote:
> I need to keep track of security prices vs. time so that
> I may calculate average return on investment.
> The price editor only keeps one price per security.

Why do you think this?  GnuCash never automatically deletes stock
prices.  The only way price quotes should disappear is if you manually
tell GnuCash to delete them.

> Could this be changed to keep track of the price vs. time?

What's the goal you're trying to achieve?  Are you looking for gnucash
to use a weighted average price when computing reports?  Check the
report options.  Looking for a price/time report for a given stock?
Doesn't exist.  GnuCash 2.0 has the beginnings of "lots" support where
it will automatically compute realized gain/loss on the sale of stock.
Is this what you're trying to achieve?  (The "lots" code hasn't been
well tested though, and may be disabled in the final 2.0 release.)

David