customizing budget reports?

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Tue Jul 11 22:18:11 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 09:00:57PM -0500, guy leavitt wrote:
> On 7/11/06, Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 04:24:19PM -0500, guy leavitt wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> And apologies in advance for my newbie question.  Have looked through
> >the
> >> documentation and mailing list archives, but didn't see (missed?) the
> >answer
> >> I'm looking for.  Basically, I would like to view the running balance
> >> between the budgeted amounts and the actual amounts in the budget
> >report.
> >
> >The running balance of the accounts?  That would require programmatic
> >changes to the report.  However, if theses are income or expense
> >accounts, then you can achieve a similar effect by starting the first
> >budget period at a time when the accounts are zeroed out, like at the
> >beginning of the year.
>

> Thanks for the speedy and informative reply.  I'm not sure I quite
> understood you and I'm still learning gnucash, so...to clarify... the
> accounts in question are income accounts, but they were imported from
> elsewhere and they have totals that won't zero out any time soon (it's a
> long term budget).  What I need to track is not only the balances of these
> accounts, but also the cumulative difference, month-by-month, betweeen their
> total budgeted amounts and their total actual amounts.  From what you said,
> it sounds like gnucash isn't set up to report that, no?  I'll file the
> request you mention if not.  Thanks again for the reply!

Oh, ok.  That's what I initially thought you meant, but I convinced
myself you meant something simpler.  No, the report doesn't keep track
of the difference between actual and budget, but I can see how that
would be useful.

As a short-term work-around, you might export the report as html, and
import it into a spreadsheet program.

Anyway, ignore what I said about income accounts.  It doesn't make any
sense to me now.

-chris