Thanks / question about bonds

Peter Williams peter at newton.cx
Tue Jul 11 02:05:05 EDT 2006

Hi,

(Please CC: me on any replies as I am not subscribed to the list.)

First of all, I just downloaded Gnucash 2.0.0 and it seems very
professional and featureful. Congratulations on a solid release and
thanks for putting it together.

Second, I'm trying to enter account for some bonds in my Gnucash file.
What is the recommended way to do this? Clearly, I can put the interest
I get every X months into an income account. But I'm not sure where or
how to record the bond itself. Since the price of a bond changes I kind
of want to classify it as a security, but the prices can't be updated
because bonds don't have ticker symbols (right?). I actually don't
really care too much about tracking the price of the bonds, but it also
seems wrong to just create an asset account with $1000 in it. Is there a
recommended way to do the accounting for these things?

Thanks for any info,

Peter

Peter Williams / peter at newton.cx