gnucash and Postgresql

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 16 23:02:26 EDT 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca>:
>
>> Derek Atkins wrote:

>>> Hopefully it will be replaced by a libdbi backend so we can get PG,
>>> MySQL,
>>> and SQLite support.  Someone want to volunteer to do this work?
>>>
>> This piqued my curiousity so I looked at the libdbi homepage at
>> Source Forge:
>> http://libdbi.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> It looks like a very low activity project. The last "news" is from
>> November 2005. The newest file in the "src" subdirectory of its CVS
>> is 2 months old. It is currently in beta, and at this rate, doesn't
>> look like it will ever get to a release.
>>
>> I wouldn't recommend basing a backend upon something that does not
>> appear to be supported. Or have I missed a more active project
>> location on the web?
>

> Just because there hasn't been a release in a while doesn't mean it isn't
> supported.  Libdbi has been released for a very long time.  Years.  It
> was available even before gnucash 1.8.0 was released!   Keep in mind that
> gnucash looked the same for a long time  :)

What is the form of this support?  It doesn't seem to be under active
development.

The project is shown as still being in beta.  Suppose we run into a
bug?  Will it get fixed?  Will we have to fix it ourselves?  Do we want
to base a backend on beta software?  Do you feel it is sufficiently
stable/debugged to be used despite that beta label?

Mark