Downloading data...

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 17 09:50:34 EDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:02 AM, Neil B. Cohen wrote:

> Thanks - I did download and build from the CVS code last night. I had
> not included the --enable-ofx the first time, so at least now it will
> let me import a file. I am just getting started with gnucash, so I
> have
> not figured out how to set up my accounts yet - but at least it is
> starting to work... Thanks for the info.
>
> Question - what does the enable-hbci do for me??

Aqbanking does the ofxdirectconnect via gwenhywfar and libofx.
Gnucash talks to aqbanking through the hbci code. For an ofx import
from file, gnucash uses libofx directly.

> Is that what will allow
> me to download directly from Merrill Lynch into the program instead of
> to a file which then has to be imported??

Yes. There is currently a problem with stock trade imports via OfxDC,
but the transactions do show up. I don't know how much work it will
take to fix the problem -- hbci code was written for standard banking
transactions where the 'commodity' was always a currency. Now that
we're asking it to handle securities as well, it will need some extra
logic in order to create transaction splits in stock/securities
accounts. I also don't know enough to tell if the problem is with
gnucash hbci code, or in the way aqbanking sends the information to
the gnucash code.

--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net