Installing v2.0

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jul 23 10:16:17 EDT 2006

Quoting "John R. Sowden" <jsowden at americansentry.net>:

> I currently have the previous version installed (came with Suse 9.3).
> The download info does not reference dealing with the previous version.  It
> does say that the following is required:
> Gnome 2, guile, slib and g-wrap.
> but, it does not give simple command line commands to make sure they are
> there, and are the correct version (this should be added as a link on the
> aove text, to the site.

That's because the commands are very different for each OS/Distro.  On
the Wiki we have various pages for various OS/Distros so you might want to
look there.  If you don't you how to build software from source then you
probably should just wait for someone else to build RPMS for you.

> Do I need to delete the prev version?  If so, how?  Do I loose my chart of
> accounts?  Can I purse any tranactions, so I am starting clean?

Not necessarily.  1.8 and 2.0 can co-exist PROVIDED they are built and
installed into different locations.  You should not lose your CoA.  Indeed,
2.0 will use your 1.8 data file.  If you prefer you can start clean.
File -> Export Accounts will generate a new data file from your existing
data file but it will only have the CoA and no transactions.  You'll have
to manually enter your starting balances.   But why get rid of your old data?