How to track mortgage (liability) payments as part of expense reports

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Sun Jun 4 20:42:56 EDT 2006

Hi,

It looks like you sent your message to the list without
being subscribed to it, so it got caught in the system for
a few weeks and didn't arrive until today.  You may want
to subscribe to the list if you haven't already.  Please
cc: the list on all replies either way.

I guess the first thing to understand is that your
house is an Asset and the amount you borrowed to buy
it is a Liability.  The amount you pay in taxes and
interest on the loan are Expenses.  An expense report
won't tell you about reducing your liabilities.

I think most people choose to do it with split transactions
from the automatic bank withdrawl, but creating manual transactions
out of your liability account into the interest and taxes
expenses account is still correct.  (Usage note: use the
"Duplicate Transaction" feature for future months to simplify
your life with these complex transactions.)

Here is your problem:
> Now when I do an expense report, everything looks good- I can see how
> much we're spending on groceries, utilities, interest, etc- but NOT the
> payments for mortgage principle.

The morgage principal is not an expense, it is going to reduce
a liability.  It may feel like an expense as if you're paying
rent, but it's not.  It is reducing a liability.  You still
own the house as an asset.

If you want to know about your monthy cash flow, which includes
these liability payments, run a cash flow report, not an expense
report.

I hope that helps.  Also, for net-worth type calculations, make
sure that your initial transactions setting up the liability
account for the loan and asset for the house came from Equity:Opening
Balances.  You shouldn't be using an adjustment account for those.

For example:
Equity:Opening Balances   -> Assets:House		$100,000.00
Equity:Opening Balances   -> Liabilities:Home loan	$80,000.00

With those two transactions, you should see in your Equity account
that you have a net worth of $20,000.  (Which was presumabely your
downpayment on the house.)  If your remaining loan amount was less,
you can add another transaction from Liabilities:Home Loan to
Equity:Opening Balances, to reflect the actual value outstanding
on your loan.

I always get the credit:debit terms mixed up, so I find it's easiest
to initiate these transactions from the Assets:House account and the
Liabilities:Home Loan account.  Then you know what column to put the
money in.  (If you have "use accounting labels" turned off in
preferences, otherwise they all say debit:credit)
--Beth