Discover Card Import

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 6 22:50:28 EDT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 7:40 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> No, and someone I tried to help with this several months back seemed
>> to run into a brick wall as well.
>> The address of the Discover Card ofx server is still listed the same
>> this year as last (based on the MS database for Money).
>>
>> The Discover Card site says you have to register before you can
>> retrieve transactions:
>> http://www.discovercard.com/discover/data/faq/
>> statements.shtml#downloadmsmoney
>>
>> Have you registered for online access via either Money or Quicken?
>>
>> Since I don't have a Discover Card, I can't try registering for the
>> Account Online activation.
>
> I wonder if the new LibOFX/AqBanking Direct Connect works with
> Discover Card?

I doubt it. ofx.py has been very robust for me with respect to
connections. There have been some changes in several financial
institutions in my experience that suggest a (light duty) security
choice in effect. Ameritrade doesn't care if you have extra data in
your ofx header, as long as everything they are expecting is correct.
Vanguard throws an html 404 error at you if you send it any extra
information, even if your logon ID and password are correct. Chase's
<FIORG> in ofx-land is "B1", since they decided to use the servers
acquired along with the rest of BankOne and apparently didn't want to
change the server setup.

Because ofx.py is pretty old at this point, and the original author
successfully used it for connecting to DiscoverCard servers, I think
Discover has changed their procedures to include customer's having to
request access for Quicken/Money direct downloads. At least with that
policy, they won't have hackers beating on accounts where customers
won't notice spurious ofx behavior. I had to request access to my
Chase credit card accounts, even after I had signed up for web access
to my account information. Chase charges for ofx access to checking/
savings accounts, but not credit card accounts.

There is another possibility. I just signed up for Quicken access to
my business checking account. I haven't had time to try it out (pin
came in the mail yesterday), but the instructions say that I will be
required to change my pin the first time I connect. If Discover has
gone that route, then Discover customers will have to borrow a copy
of Quicken to get set up before they can use ofx.py or aqbanking
regularly. Aqbanking may offer a mechanism for changing pins, but it
depends on whether libofx has implemented the function on their end.
I know that ofx.py does not offer a method for changing pins.

The Discover online FAQ does not mention having to change pins.

> -derek

Dave
--
David Reiser