Installing finance::quote

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Tue Jun 20 16:22:14 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 14:04 -0500, Jerry Criswell wrote:

> The Yahoo web site _does_ know about my mutual fund.  I tried all the
> other american vendors but a price was never returned.  Your reply says I
> need to enter the exact symbol.  I am not allowed to do that anywhere.
> The drop down windows only allow me to select by fund name not symbol.
> The symbol is IAALX and the name is IDEX Asset Allocation Growth.  Can you
> get a return through the price editor?

OK, clearly there's some disconnect here.  Yes, I can get a quote for
IAALX from yahoo.

 david at hampton-pc:~$ /opt/gnucash/1.8/bin/dump-finance-quote yahoo IAALX
 Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
     symbol: IAALX                <=== required
       date: 06/19/2006           <=== required
   currency: USD                  <=== required
       last: 11.97                <=\
        nav:                      <=== one of these
      price: 11.97                <=/
   timezone:                      <=== optional
 david at hampton-pc:~$

I'll assume that you've already created a commodity for the mutual fund
because of the error messages you've reported before.  Start gnucash and
open the commodity editor.   Select your fund and click Edit.  In that
dialog the name for the commodity should be "IDEX Asset Allocation
Growth", the symbol field should be "IAALX", the type should be
"FUND" (although it doesn't matter), the cusip can be anything, and the
fraction traded should be left at 1/10000.

If you haven't entered the fund information, you can click 'Add' from
the commodity editor window and you'll get the same data input window.
As an alternative to creating commodities from the commodity editor, you
can also create them when you are creating an account.  In the account
dialog, first set the Account Type to Stock or Mutual Fund, then click
on the Select button at the end of the commodity selection line.  Click
"New" in the selection window, and you'll be back at the same data entry
window for entering stock/mutual fund information.

Hope this helps.

David