Problem obtaining share price

Leslie Katz lesliek at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 22 04:53:46 EDT 2006

I set up a new account today in a file that consists of various shares.
However, when I tried to use the price editor to get the closing prices
for the shares in the file, I was told that no price could be obtained
for the new share. However, I couldn't find anything wrong with the way
I'd created the account. I then ran dump-finance-quote, both for a
longstanding share (WBC) and for the new one (WCTPA). The output was as
follows:

[leslie at localhost ~]$ dump-finance-quote yahoo_australia WBC
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: WBC.AX               <=== required
      date: 06/22/2006           <=== required
  currency: AUD                  <=== required
      last: 22.510               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 22.510               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional
[leslie at localhost ~]$ dump-finance-quote yahoo_australia WCTPA
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: WCTPA.AX             <=== required
      date: 06/22/2006           <=== required
  currency:                      <=== required
      last: 99.910               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 99.910               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

I noticed that the information obtained for the new share did not have
the currency field filled in, although the information obtained for the
longstanding one did.

I suspect that that means that the problem is with Yahoo rather than
with the way I set up the new account. However, since I seem always to
be making mistakes with the way I set up new accounts, I'd be grateful
for confirmation that, for once, the fault isn't mine.

Many thanks,

Leslie