1.9.8 Mortgage/Loan Druid

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 26 12:18:09 EDT 2006

Quoting Jim Karcz <jkarcz at gmail.com>:

> Derek,
>
> What do you mean by this? Perhaps the M&LD should have a first-year
> amortization table available before you "finish" the process?

Which word didn't you understand?  M&LD == Mortgage & Loan Druid.
If it displayed the first-year amortization table then you'd notice
that the P&I splits were wrong.

You didn't answer my (implied) question:  There's a flag in the M&LD
that specifies whether payments are made at the beginning or end of the
period.  Which setting did you use?

> I did a little more poking, and since the druid seems to only create
> cool little formula as a  scheduled transaction, I don't think I have
> a problem in this case because my existing imported transactions are
> split up correctly already.  The program I used previously had a
> "special" loan account, which rolled this amortization junk into the
> account setup, which I know officially, do not like after using
> gnucash.  I believe setting the loan origination date to 6/2004 and
> the next payment date to 7/2006, the correct P+I will be used.
>
> Just to understand a bit more, I did a test where I entered a next
> payment date of 6/2006, to replicate just the last payment.  Upon
> applying the scheduled transaction for 6/2006, it used 7/2006 P+I.  I
> would have expected the 6/2006 P+I to be used.  The scheduled
> transaction entries for past transaction don't used the correct P+I
> and seems to start from the next upcoming payment for entering P+I.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

-derek