How to enter insurance claims?

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Fri Jun 30 02:57:44 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:25:04PM -0400, Roland Roberts wrote:
> We recently filed a claim with our auto insurance company and received a
> payment.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to enter than item.
>
> Since the money is going straight into the car repairs, I thought of
> just entering it as a "reimbursement" for automobile repairs, but I'm
> not sure where the other half of the transaction should come from.  How
> do others enter this sort of thing?

When you say "straight into car repairs" do you mean that they paid
the shop directly?  Or that the amount they gave you equals the
amount you paid the repair shop?  For case 1, you almost don't need
to bother recording anything in gnucash because "real money" never
touched your bank account, although if you want your "expenses: car
repairs" account to reflect the dollars spent on fixing your car,
you can transfer the money: