Upper Case Counts and We're Not All Having Problems

Jim Muchow jmuchow at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 15:35:58 EST 2006

A couple of months ago, I got a letter and an email from Intuit that
my version of Quicken (2003 Business edition) was too old for them
to even consider supporting anymore (yeah?), that I can't download
stock quotes anymore (them's fightin' words), but that they would be
more than happy to sell me a new version of their bloat-ware for
next to arm-and-a-leg.

Two can play at that game.

After a few weeks or setting up 1.8.11, configuring and porting the
relevant financial data, I can say, good-bye and good riddance to
Quicken.

I have everything working now, except for scheduled transactions,
which are nice but buggy and fortunately not necessary. I can download
quotes - which brings me to the other reason I'm writing.

When creating your list of stocks and mutual funds in the Price Editor,
make sure you use Upper Case (Capital Letters). The test app
dump-finance-quote doesn't care, but something in GnuCash between
the symbols list and the download app does. Last month
(Fri Feb 17 14:12:39 EST 2006),  a Vazrik Israelian wrote to complain
that he was "Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:" - subject of post).

I had this exact same problem until I changed the case of one, then
eventually all my stock symbols from lower (like Vazrik's yhoo) to upper
(YHOO).